What I'm Doing Now
I'm in San Francisco concentrating on self-discipline, self-improvement, and shipping the next big thing at Stripe.
These are some points of focus:
- Rust. This language is the most exciting thing happening in computing right now for me. Its typing and safety semantics have the potential to get us to a future where software is less buggy and generally more reliable, and its got a lot less baggage than comparable projects like Haskell. I'm working on a few new projects and OSS contributions.
- Articles on subjects like: why it's important to use an ACID data store, advice on operating Postgres, and various stack agnostic operational techniques that we use in production at Stripe.
- An aspirational guide for building software that's simple, robust, and stable without constant human attention.
- Some basic voice recording to help me get more articulate and be able to form more cohesive long form thoughts in speech.
- Exercising my attention muscle by putting in more periods of deep thought and intense non-maintenance work. I try to focus on only one thing at a time and shut off my distraction machine.
- Improving my mental and physical health by meditating and exercising 4-5 times a week (each).
This is a "now page" which itemizes the work and other priorities that I'm concentrating on right now. It's built in the style pioneered by Derek Sivers.
This page was last updated on December 29th, 2016.